"It's as if a great bird lives inside the stone of our days and since no sculptor can free it, it has to wait for the elements to wear us down, till it is free to fly." Mark Nepo

Monday, May 18, 2020

Toby's Last Morning

When I got up Saturday morning, Toby was lying against the wall in the dining room, as I’ve often found him these last weeks. Neither of us had gotten much sleep the night before as he moved around trying to get comfortable and as his breathing sounds shifted. He opened his eyes to look at me, but there was no flop of his tail or lift of his head. I bent down to pet him and to clean up the leakage that had accumulated under his muzzle. Compassionate Care was scheduled to arrive sometime between 8 and 10, although we’d been told it would be closer to 8. I went about my morning routine, feeding the cats, emptying the dishwasher, sitting with my coffee and the NY Times puzzles, pushing away doubts. Toby didn’t move any of the many times I stopped to talk to him and pet him.

For days I had been agonizing whether it was finally time to release Toby from the last several months of struggle with cancer. He was still eating and drinking, and peeing and pooping. He ate regularly, sometimes with remnants of his usual enthusiasm. Granted we were feeding him by hand, and just days before had to resort to hiding his twice-daily pill in cheese to get him to take it. But he loved his chicken and his dog cookies and seemed thrilled with the addition of cheese to his diet. 

Just a week earlier he came out to the front yard while I worked in my flowerbed. At one point he plopped himself down in the middle of the flowers and I didn’t have the heart to make him move. A neighbor came up our driveway to chat, and Toby leapt up and ran barking at him, tail wagging the whole way. The run was wonky and the barking was hoarse, but the greeting was clear. 

A day or two after that Toby’s face swelled up to the point he couldn’t see out of one eye. His breathing grew more labored and much louder. He was restless at night, and had a hard time getting comfortable. He had had spells previously, but seemed always to recover after a couple of days. So three days became my standard. If he didn’t get better after three days, I would consider that it might be time. 

He didn’t get better, although the swelling went down after it burst open under his eye. His breathing was liquid and glurpy and he was lethargic. He’d eat, but the inside of his mouth bled after every meal. He’d get up only if I nudged him. Walt and Toby had been going for evening strolls around the yard, and now he got outside the gate and stopped, wanting to go back before they’d even got to the front yard. 

I couldn’t remember the last uninterrupted night’s sleep I’d had, and my daytime hours were now spent managing the leakage from his face, getting him to eat, and trying to get him moving. Somewhere in my determination to not end his life too soon, I’d forgotten that joy was one of the criteria for whether to continue on. And none of us were feeling joy in Toby’s life any more, most especially Toby. 

So the call was made, and the appointment set, and I started Saturday knowing we had only hours left together. 

I decided to see if he would go outside with me one last time before the vet arrived. His absolute favorite thing in the world had always been being outside with his humans. Whether it was walking or fetching or simply lying at our feet, he lived for the hours we spent together under the sky.

After a little nudge, he pulled himself to his feet and went out with me easily. He headed for the grass and peed, then over to the birdbath to drink, all part of his usual morning routine. I stood on the patio talking to him as he wandered a bit in the gentle rain, sniffing the grass. The next thing I knew, he was doing his best version of running to the back fence, barking, his once deep voice now a raspy seal croak. He had spotted the deer on the other side, and as he had done his whole life, gave chase. He then pooped and came back to me on the patio. Instead of heading to the door, however, he moved to the gate, looking back at me expectantly.

This is the gate from which all of our walks began, from which he would be invited to join me working in the front yard, at which he always greeted us when we came home from time away. It was raining and I was barefoot and I knew he wouldn’t be able to go far, but I opened the gate anyway. We walked out together. We didn’t get more than a few yards from the gate before he stopped. It made me think of the very last time we headed out to do our daily walk so many weeks before, when he stopped and leaned against me. His body was no longer able to carry his spirit where it longed to go. 

We turned around and went back into the house. We stopped in the kitchen where I offered him some chicken, which he ate carefully, and some cheese, which he consumed eagerly. I fed him until he turned away. Then I walked him into the living room where his bed has been for months. I had pulled it into the middle of the floor and covered it with his favorite blanket. He plopped down, clearly tired from our outside adventure. I sat with him and petted him and talked to him. Walt joined us. A little before 8, a car pulled into the driveway. 

Dr. Beth, as she introduced herself, was calm and kind and gentle from the beginning. When she first came in she asked if Toby was snarling. For a second I wondered why she thought that, and then I realized his breathing was that loud. When I reassured her that we’d never heard Toby snarl, that it was his breathing, she came and knelt in front of him. I was at his head. Walt was behind him. She asked questions and filled out paperwork and petted Toby when he lifted his head toward her as greeting.

She explained the entire process while preparing, and again as she carried it out, petting Toby the whole time. At one point I heard her humming what sounded like a lullaby. Toby was calm and completely relaxed into the love that Walt and I were pouring over him. The only time he showed any reaction at all, and that was just a raised head, was when she swabbed the newly shaved spot on his hind leg with alcohol. 

Bunkie, the older of our two cats and the one who often sat in doorways for the express purpose of keeping Toby from going through, was with us through it all. He kept going between me and Toby, stopping for pets, and then gave the vet’s equipment and coat a thorough inspection. In the last minutes of Toby’s life, as we talked him over to the other side, Bunkie sat at the edge of the blanket and kneaded a steady beat until it was over. 

Mimsy, the cat who adored Toby and who often curled up against his belly, didn’t come out at all. When Toby’s great heart finally stilled and Dr. Beth went out to her car to get the stretcher, I went looking for Mimsy. I brought her out and set her on the floor next to Toby. She sniffed and walked away. However, when the vet came back in and knelt again in front of Toby with the stretcher to prepare him to go, Mimsy came back in the room. She marched up to Toby’s back feet and rubbed her face and body against them like she had rubbed against his legs so many times before.

The three humans enshrouded Toby and then carried him out to the vet’s car. She drove him away to be cremated and returned to us so we can return him to the ground of the place that became a sanctuary because of his presence. There will be a dogwood tree to shade and bloom over him in the years to come.

Dr. Beth was gone by 9. Walt and I went back into a deeply quiet house to begin the long journey of learning to live without our boy. My heart is broken, but it is a larger and softer heart with a much greater capacity for love than it was before Toby. Recalling the gift of Toby’s life and the gift of his dying in the time ahead will help weave the pieces back together into a heart that reflects the greatness of his own. 


Daune said...

Toby is proof positive that animals do feel love and connection and devotion as deeply as people, and perhaps even more than many. He was the absolute best dog, and he landed and lived out his long life in the absolute best place he could have lived. What a full, healthy, happy home you provided for him! What amazing joy and fun and adoration he provided for you! And what a loving, caring, gentle end you gave him when release was finally the answer. He will be long and deeply missed. Sending much love to you and Walt from all of us.

Deb Cushman said...

Love to you and Walt. Toby was a special friend and will be missed.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

That was beautifully written and heartbreaking to read. Saying good bye to a beloved pet is so very hard.

Linda Reeder said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful, loving piece of writing, and for sharing your heart. Peace be with you.

#1Nana said...

I’m so sorry for your loss.. You had a long good life together and I know it must be difficult to face the void he has left in your heart. Sending you cyber hugs. I hope you can dwell in the memory of the loving life he lived.

My life so far said...

I'm so sorry Deb. I remember when he was just a young dog, it seems like just yesterday. I'm thankful he's not suffering anymore but I can imagine how much he will be missed.

DJan said...

Tears streaming, heart broken for you, Deb, but grateful that you wrote this lovely piece about your beloved companion and his last morning. Thank you again for letting me join you in your sadness.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

So very hard to lose a beloved friend. My heart aches for you. Take good care.

Linda Myers said...

Beautiful and heartbreaking. May you all be at peace.

Anonymous said...

Writing through blurry tear-filled eyes, my heart is heavy for you, Walt, and Toby's furry cat friends. This is such a beautifully written snapshot of the day. I am certain that Toby knew just how much he was loved by you and Walt. I always admired the way you cared for him, making him and his walks the priority of your day. One of my favorite memories of Toby is how he would dive for rocks in the river. I had never seen anything quite like it before and it made me smile to see how happy it made him! Big hugs and kisses from MN. We love you and Walt and miss you more than you know!

Deborah Barker said...

HI Deb, I only just read this beautiful account of Toby's final moments. Needless to say, it moved me to tears, not least because I remember all the posts about Toby that you wrote over the years, the messages about Toby and our Flossie that passed between us. Flossie is 10 years old now and has given us a few frights but she is still able to come for long walks with me which has been a blessing during these strange times, and give chase to next door's cat! We give our hearts to our four legged friends and in return, they give us their trust. Bless you. XXX