"It's as if a great bird lives inside the stone of our days and since no sculptor can free it, it has to wait for the elements to wear us down, till it is free to fly." Mark Nepo

Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Mystery of Enna Scott


I love a good mystery. Starting with Nancy Drew, through Miss Marple and Rebecca, to Kinsey Millhone and Harry Bosch - the characters in those books were as real to me as the people or situations I was reading to escape. They became my friends and my models and my heroes.

So I'm thrilled to find a new mysterious character has entered my life.

It started with an e-mail from an address I didn't recognize, inviting me to visit a new blog. The name of the writer was intriguing: Enna Scott.  The fact that Enna is a fictional character, created by a writer who prefers to allow her narrator to hold the stage alone, does nothing to diminish my interest in her, or my curiosity about her story.

Even though it took me years to get over the news that Carolyn Keene was not a real person, after time to reflect, that actually made Nancy seem even more real in some way. Her being was not dependent on one person alone, but was in fact so powerful she still finds ways to be alive in the world. Some characters, while not in a human body, simply need to be in the world.

I think Enna is one of those characters. She's young. She's searching for something she can't quite define. She's spunky.

The story is still new enough that you can catch up in one easy sitting. Then you'll have new installments to look forward to when you're hungry for story or missing Enna, much like the serialized stories of times past. I hope you'll give yourself the gift of Enna Scott. She's eager to be known.

13 comments:

Wanda said...

Thanks. I could use a good serial read.

Terri Tiffany said...

Seems to me another friend mentioned her. Hmmm. Intrigued now.

Unspoken said...

I LOVED Nancy Drew when I was young. I will have to check the link, of course :).

Linda Myers said...

Thanks for the new link.

Kathryn Magendie said...

Well, glad I saw this - that email went into my spam folder and I thought it was spam - I did try to google the name with blogspot in it and couldn't find it - so I deleted it!

Now I will go by there and see! :-)

Cheryl said...

Intriguing. Will have to go and take a look. Thanks.

B. WHITTINGTON said...

I'm off to check out Enna. Thanks.
Love love love Nancy Drew, still. I too was crushed to learn the writer's name and to learn that she did not get compensation or little for all the work she did. Sad.

Blessings.

Jessica Nelson said...

Uh-oh! LOL I thought it was spam too and deleted it.
Hmmm. Very interesting...

Janna Leadbetter said...

How cool!

graceonline said...

Wow. Thanks for that, Deb. I'm loving the story already!

Mark Lyons said...

It was a fun read. Not quite like the Nancy Drew I cut my teeth on, but still fun. I'll probably keep checking it out.

Love you
Mark

colbymarshall said...

Very cool! Thanks for the referral!

writergirl said...

Cool! This is odd though b/c Enna Lee Scott is a character in one of my stories. I thought the name was completely unique, but apparently not! interesting...