"It's as if a great bird lives inside the stone of our days and since no sculptor can free it, it has to wait for the elements to wear us down, till it is free to fly." Mark Nepo

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Autumn Dawn


One of the best parts of any day is early morning when the light first breaks through the trees. I'm often sitting here at my east-facing window, beginning my work for the day, when night surrenders. The view of sky and beyond is mostly held prisoner behind the bars of cedars and firs  that line that side of our place. But the light always pushes through eventually, and some pink almost always glows from behind, and new day always arrives no matter what.

Some mornings, like today, the view is further muted by thick fog rising from the ground like memories, drawn out from a place of dark stillness. Blocking panoramic vision, but allowing shape and color through. Cool fingers of moisture playing guess-who against my eyes.

I feel both comforted and constrained by the gray mist and gray-green sentinel trees that cushion me from the vast unknowing and freedom on the other side.

The world on this side is soft and cocooned, silent, safe. Since all is shadow, there are no lurking shadows to fear. Dim light allows for just enough vision to promise night doesn't last forever. It's a soft nest of gray down held in the protective arms of Mother. No longer asleep, yet not quite fully awake in this time, a part of me wants to stay here forever.

The world on the other side tugs at me with its tourmaline blush and sapphire promises. Light sparkles through my eyes and pulls from within - inviting, urging, singing.  "Let go." "Come play." "There's lots of room."

"You can't fall."

With the rising sun, light continues to brighten the sky, scatter the fog, and declare victory over darkness once again. It won't be denied, but neither will it insist I step out of the shadows. The choice is mine.

21 comments:

Charlene N. K. said...

Beautiful and poetic. I like this kind of morning when the fog is thick and only the dark shapes of trees are visible. I have an affinity to such atmosphere. But of course, sunshine is always welcome!

Jessica Nelson said...

I LOVE mornings like this! The road to my son's school is gorgeous in the mornings.
Beautiful post, Deb. You captured the "cocoon" of morning very well. :-)

Niki said...

lovely :)

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I love/hate choice.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

And Deb, isn't that the prettiest pink glow of night's surrender?

Love your post. Love mornings, if I can keep my eyes open.

Terri Tiffany said...

I sit each morning facing out east as well and watch the sun rise chasing away the morning fog. Your description is perfect-- you are a literary writer.

Suzy said...

Gorgeous writing...


Love you

Suzu

Wanda said...

I love/hate morning.

Amber said...

EVERYthing here is beautiful.

:)

Wanda..... said...

Morning is my favorite time of day...up before dawn every day to watch the sun come up!

graceonline said...

"You can't fall."

Perfect.

Unspoken said...

It's the fear of falling that comes with being grown up that gets us.

Jerri said...

There's lots of room in the world for writing like this, Deb. Beautiful.

kario said...

Your words are so powerful and so well-chosen. They paint an amazing picture and I am left in awe of your abilities, my friend.

Love.

Barb said...

I like that misty pink shot. I also am partial to this line in your prose: "thick fog rising from the ground like memories, drawn out from a place of dark stillness"

It speaks to me of hidden possibilities, there if I want to pursue them.

Cheryl said...

Ah Deb, just glorious. I am catching up with my reading as the hours tick down to NaNoWriMo and I just adore your prose and wonder if I will be able to come up with such wonderful words as I start writing tomorrow morning. You're an inspiration.

colbymarshall said...

Such beautiful shots. I love the mornings when I can wake myself up for them ;-)

patti said...

Comforted and constrained...your usual great writing.

Such a great place to visit when the cave deadlines are pushing in.

Hey! I kinda feel the same way!!!

Blessings, Deb,
Patti

#1Nana said...

Deb,
Great descriptions...gave me the urge to expand my writing style to create more mood. I'm starting NaNoWriMo tomorrow and I'm going to experiment with this. Definately not my usual style but so effective in setting a scene.
Jann

Mark Lyons said...

Simply a beautifully written piece.

Love you
Mark

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I so wish I were a morning person. At least I think I do. Or it seems I'm supposed to be. However, I rarely think that while up late at night.