"It's as if a great bird lives inside the stone of our days and since no sculptor can free it, it has to wait for the elements to wear us down, till it is free to fly." Mark Nepo

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Simply Perfect


Sometimes life gives you a day where little perfections are so abundant, it's impossible to believe in accidents or coincidence or anything at all but glory.

Today was our first true May day - 70 degrees, full sun, a gentle breeze. The perfect backdrop for everything to follow.

Bright yellow and black goldfinches singing hallelujahs through tiny orange beaks – intricate, melodic, joyful.

Lilacs cut from hand-chosen and lovingly grown bushes, filling the house with the one fragrance that has the power to remind me life has always held magic and goodness, even in the midst of great suffering.

Toby, in his gorgeous sturdy golden majesty, chasing bird shadows all over the back yard. His intensity and the look of sheer  glee on his face enough to make me sit and do nothing but watch and laugh and marvel.

The first walk of the season in shorts and T-shirt, through air as inviting as a lover's smile under a canopy of new greens so lush and fresh they promise infinite possibility.

A small nettle sting on my left knee, still zinging hours after I pushed through some foliage, more intent on where I was going than where I was. A sort of delicious pain reminding me of the wild freedom of childhood on a farm.

The discovery on our walk of one single sky blue wildflower, a bluebell of some sort, but one I've never seen on my trail before.

Time with bare feet and bare hands buried in warm earth, pulling weeds – weeds which released their hold easily from the still moist ground. Clearing space around peonies pregnant with impending bloom. Kept company by an old cat soaking up as much heat as possible, just far enough away to avoid being hit by flying greenery.

New sheets washed today and hung on the line to dry. The anticipated pleasure of what that fresh crispness will feel like and smell like almost as good as climbing between the sheets themselves.

Open windows inviting the new spring air to clean the last of winter from every corner of the house.

The day hanging on, even now, with robins chirping their evening song into sky the color of their eggs.

Simple little perfections that add up to a day of heart bursting beauty and love and joy.

photos from Flickr

18 comments:

T. Powell Coltrin said...

That, my dear, is a perfect day!!

Unspoken said...

I had a day of tears yesterday and today a day of sun, wine, a good friend, a good run, my daughter laughing in a city fountain... Lovely. Perfect.

Lilas and gold finches are among my very favorite things!

Anonymous said...

Those are the sort of glorious days where you can just turn your face up to the sun and enjoy! How blissful!

Tabitha Bird said...

Can I join you on your walks? Please? :)

Beautifully written, Deb :)

Anonymous said...

Wish I were there. Hands in the garden dirt, especially.

(Oh, and is it a harebell?)

Wanda said...

I even shaved my legs for yesterday.

kario said...

Thank you so much for sharing this lovely day with all of us. You deserve many more days just like this, my friend!

Kathryn Magendie said...

YES! Oh, I love the goldfinches - they come to the feeder and are so bright and lovely .... ahhh, spring!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lovely day. It's finally warming up here as well. We went for a long walk last yesterday evening and it was still light until almost ten. One of the perks of living so far north.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carrie Wilson Link said...

"Sometimes life gives you a day where little perfections are so abundant, it's impossible to believe in accidents or coincidence or anything at all but glory." LOVE THIS!

Janna Leadbetter said...

Just beautiful, Deb. I loved sharing this May day with you.

Amber said...

Oooooh lilacs! My favorite. But they don't do too well here. Too hot. So smell some for me.

;)

Anonymous said...

Love the new background.

Jerri said...

" air as inviting as a lover's smile "

Writing as gorgeous as the day you're describing.

Mark Lyons said...

Wow...I wanted to be right there with you, enjoying the glory of nature and a beautiful spring day. Instead, the rumble of the air conditioner in a cramped office filled my day. Thanks for painting such a glorious picture.

I love you
Mark

B. WHITTINGTON said...

Deb,
Thanks so much for your encouragement on my blog site.

I enjoy your comments.

You photo today is beautiful.

Nothing like nature. Would you share your email address. I couldn't seem to have it go thru.
Mine is barbwhitti@aol.com
Blessings.
Barb

Midlife Roadtripper said...

"New sheets washed today and hung on the line to dry. The anticipated pleasure"

That, indeed, is a pleasure. I can feel it.