"It's as if a great bird lives inside the stone of our days and since no sculptor can free it, it has to wait for the elements to wear us down, till it is free to fly." Mark Nepo

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanks-giving


I sit at my computer facing east, the direction of new beginnings. The pinks of sunrise absorbed into hungry night fog lying low over the ground. A cloudless sky begins to birth blue.

Grace, a Siamese friend to any potential lap, sits thrumming at the edge of my desk. Toby, a dog of unrestrained joy and simple pleasures, wanders in the back yard. Walt, a husband whose love and certainty of our soul-mate status never wavers (no matter the storm coming from me) sleeps at the other end of the house.

In this stillness I consider my wealth. Somewhere in the last space of time I've gone from being a survivor to being a woman who thrives on the gifts of each new day. I count as friends an enormous circle of men and women who are brave seekers of light, who inspire and who make me laugh. I spend my days as a writer and teacher and wife and friend and sister and student and explorer, but no longer define myself by any one of those labels.

I sit comfortably in my twirly desk chair, kept warm by pink polka-dotted flannel, allowing my heart to flow through my fingers into this amazing magical rectangle of technology. The peace lily in the corner offers its giants leaves over the edge of my desk, which is covered with my favorite red, yellow and turquoise antique cotton tablecloth. Coffee softened with cream sits at my right hand, a pile of work waiting for attention sits at my left. A small three-drawer wooden chest sits at the left-hand corner, a gift from my mother at high school graduation that reminds me she wanted to love me and did in fact do the best she could.

I feel well, rested, loved.

There is nothing else I need or want in this moment. I am full, fully present, overflowing with gratitude.

May you know that you are loved and valued and understood. May your eyes see nothing but beauty and your ears hear nothing but music. May you fill to overflowing with gratitude so the world is filled with its brilliant light.

Namaste.

Joyous Thanksgiving.

photo from Flickr


19 comments:

Janna Leadbetter said...

And to you, Deb. Thanks for sharing the beauty of both your spirit and your words. Happy Thanksgiving.

Wanda said...

Peace be with you. What joy to know you are loved.

Jody Hedlund said...

Beautifully put! Have a joyous Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Lovely and thank you for the reminder.

tricia said...

I count you among those that I am thankful for. Enjoy your time with family. I love you, my friend.

Tabitha Bird said...

Here here. Amen what you said. Have a great thanksgiving Deb. :)

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Joyous Thanksgiving to you, Deb. A lovely post. A lovely writing.

Jessica Nelson said...

*happy sigh*
Thank you Deb, for a lovely post! May those blessings return to you. :-) Have an awesome day!

Deb said...

Sounds like you are in a wonderful space. Happy Thanksgiving!

Lorna said...

Thank you Deb, for sharing your gift of words. They evoke feelings of gratitude, beauty, and warmth. Joyous Thanksgiving!

Bernie said...

Beautiful post. How you love words and how I love to read them here. You have a gift, girl, for feeling and seeing and writing beauty.

colbymarshall said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm visiting from over at Angie's blog-- thought I'd say hello! :)

Deb Cushman said...

I've finally caught up on the posts I've missed and am thankful to have a friend like you to inspire me. The beauty of your writing always brings me joy. Thank you,
Deb

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Beautiful post!

How about THIS for healed behavior: "that reminds me she wanted to love me and did in fact do the best she could."

Anonymous said...

A beautiful post Deb.It reflects so much that home is a resting place for those lucky enough to experience it ourselves, for those who go out of our way to make it such for the people we love. I feel for those who dread having to return home. It is one of the most important factors in our well-being, for humans and animals alike. Bless you Deb, this was so warming to read. xx

Anonymous said...

Deb, this is a beautiful list from a beautiful heart.

Amber said...

Lovely. This post feels like peace.

:)

Kathryn Magendie said...

This is beautiful...

Namaste, Deb ...all things good to you and for you.

Go Mama said...

Lovely. Just lovely.

May you always bask in the bounty that surrounds you....